The house and surrounding land was once part of a much larger estate and, we understand has a very interesting history. This is the story of Doe Park as far as we know, however there may be some inaccuracies as this information has been passed on over time, although some is gathered from historical records. The earliest record of Doe Park is from 1520 when it was owned by the Craddocks, a Royalist family, during the Civil War. It was most probably a hunting lodge but there is no record of what the house was like at that time, although it certainly would not have been the house that is here today. 

Following this, the next records show it to be owned by James Ledgard in 1645. He was a Roundhead and reformed the house and named it Ledgard or Ledger Hall. Before he could complete the house, however, it is believed he was hung, drawn and quartered on Romaldkirk village green leaving the house unfinished and in the form it is today. The house was probably intended to be much larger than it actually is, with a pitched roof and double the size, however through lack of money the house was finished as quickly as possible and that may explain why the house is so tall and narrow.
   
In the early 1700s, through marriage, the estate became the property of the Hutchinson family of Eggleston Hall. It was during this time that the roof at the back of the house was lifted and the parapet removed. The difference in the stone can clearly be seen at the top of the house and the front parapet still remains.

In 1911 Keith Lambs grandfather rented the house and land from the Hutchinson family to farm and following the First World War purchased it. Three generations of the Lamb family now have their home at Doe Park and run the farm and caravan site alongside each other.

Copyright ©2015 Doe Park. All Rights Reserved.